Are you a Spanish language learner? Do you want to learn Spanish in Mexico?
If you are, then this guide is all that you need. Remember that there are many ways of learning the language and one of them includes moving to a country where they speak it.
If your answer is yes – read on because we will show you some cool places in Mexico where you can learn the language easily.
But a question may arise in your mind, “why Mexico choose your destination to learn the Spanish language?” So let’s first answer this question before diving deep into the topic.
Why you should learn spanish in mexico?
Well, Mexico is not just a beautiful place with its majestic beaches, colonial towns, and museums. It is home to about 120 million people who can speak Spanish. There is a huge variety of Spanish language as each region of Mexico has its accent and vernacular.
Secondly, the country is diverse and has a complex history which makes it easier for you to learn about the language via its culture. This will enhance your language skills by leaps and bounds because learning Spanish in Mexico will provide you with exposure to different kinds of Spanish spoken around the world. Also, no other Spanish-speaking nation has a larger economy than that of Mexico. So, you can imagine how easy it will be to get employed in the country. And if getting a job is not your priority right now, then at least it serves as an added benefit.
So it is no surprise that Mexico is one of the most favorite places for Spanish language learners because this country charms everyone easily.
Our main aim is to tell you about some of the best places where they can learn Spanish. Be it an institute, school or the street – we have got you covered.
So, let’s start.
Top 5 destinations to learn spanish in Mexico for language learners:
The top five destinations in Mexico for Spanish language learners are
1. Mexico City
1. Mexico City:
Mexico City is the capital of the country and is home to about 22 million people who speak Spanish as their first language. With so many people, it’s no surprise that there are several world-class language schools in the city. So here is the list of the best Spanish institutes in Mexico city.
- ‘Frida Spanish Language School is located in the heart of Mexico City and offers intensive, semi-intensive, and non-intensive Spanish courses for all levels. The school uses dynamic teaching methods that include activities like group games, role-playing, and singing.
- ‘Centro Cultural México Inglés’ is another dedicated Spanish language school in Mexico City, which teaches courses for all levels. Classes are taught with a combination of conversational and grammar-based activities. The school has an extensive library filled with materials to aid in your studies.
- Learn Spanish in Mexico City is another friendly Spanish language school that is known for its creative and dynamic teaching. The teachers help students improve their communication skills through activities like group debates, role-playing, and singing.
- ‘Universidad de Monterrey’ offers regular Spanish courses during the day and in the evening. The school provides a free placement test to determine which level of Spanish course you should take. There are also special courses for business, academics, and medical Spanish.
- L&C Spanish School is located at Av. Baja California 260-3rd floor, Colonia Condesa, Cuauhtémoc, 06100 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico. It has a good reputation for teaching Spanish to foreigners. The school has intensive, semi-intensive, non-intensive, and conversation classes.
Oaxaca is well known for its rich history and culture as well as the beautiful colonial architecture, making it one of the best places to learn Spanish in Mexico. There are many renowned Spanish language learning institutes in Oaxaca, which provide Spanish language courses for beginners to advance learners.
The course curriculum in these institutes is arranged in such a way that you would be able to speak confidently in Spanish after completing the course. You also get to learn about the history and culture of the region which you can then use during conversations with natives.
In addition, the cost of living in Oaxaca is less as compared to other cities in Mexico, which is an added advantage. For example, the cost of living in Mexico City is 29% higher than the living cost in Oaxaca. So if you are on a budget-friendly language learning tip to Mexico then you can choose Oaxaca. The following are some of the best institutes that teach Spanish courses to foreigners in Oaxaca.
- ‘Instituto Cultural Oaxaca’ is one of the best Spanish language schools in Oaxaca. Since its establishment in 1984, this school has trained thousands of non-native Spanish students. Students can participate in cultural programs and trips. Furthermore, the Intercambio program with community members and optional excursions to nearby attractions helps students learn Spanish quickly. with the aim of helping students achieve their personal goals. Its teachers are experienced professionals with a solid educational background. Hundreds of students enroll every year.
- Don Quijote Schools oxaca is another institute that offers a variety of Spanish courses for different levels of learners. They make sure that you are able to develop your speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills with the help of several activities. Furthermore, they provide students with all necessary materials, which can help them practice Spanish outside of the classroom.
- Spanish Immersion School in Oaxaca is focused on fostering a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. The two main goals of this school are to provide students with the skills necessary to communicate in Spanish as well as learn about Mexican culture and traditions. They have one on one classes that can help students achieve their personal goals. This school has high-quality teachers with years of experience teaching Spanish to foreigners.
This metropolis is located in Western Mexico but borders on its Eastern country-side which speaks Spanish so it is no wonder why this place tops our list of best cities for learning Spanish in Mexico. Guadalajara is characterized by its family values, strong religious values, and peaceful environment. Besides learning Spanish, you can indulge in some of the best Mexican food, see some beautiful colonial architecture, visit countless museums and art galleries all while being exposed to some of Mexico’s history. So you can learn and enjoy – what a perfect equation!
In addition to being the perfect city to learn Spanish and other fun courses, Guadalajara will afford you plenty of opportunities to explore and even venture out to the beautiful mountains and beaches in this area.
There are many Spanish schools to choose from in Guadalajara where you can study Spanish and also take some fun classes like Mexican cooking, art classes (learn how to make piñatas!), and dance classes. The following are some of the best Spanish learning institutes in Guadalajara.
- “IMAC Spanish Language Programs – Learn Spanish in Mexico” is one of the best Spanish learning school in Guadalajara. Imac offers programs for different levels which you can choose from depending on your level of Spanish. This institute is located in a beautiful colonial-style building in the historic center of Guadalajara. So you will really enjoy studying at this place in a relaxed and friendly environment with great teachers.
- Guadalajara Language Center is another great option for learning Spanish in Mexico. This institute is located close to the downtown area of Guadalajara, which is considered one of the most lively areas in this city. It is a modern school with all amenities you need to feel at home!
- North American Language Center at Guadalajara is the third school that offers Spanish courses here in this great city. This school is located near Guadalajara’s famous nightlife area, so if you want to party as well as study, this is a great option for you!
The fourth city on our list is Merida, Yucatan.
One of the biggest draws to Merida is that many people visit because it’s a popular travel destination for Europeans and Canadians, so by being there you’re in an ideal spot to get yourself out of your comfort zone while surrounded by speakers of other languages. This can be the great motivation at first, even if you are fluent in your home language.
The largest of the Yucatan cities, Merida is a more modern city that also has a colonial downtown area where you can spend time walking around and taking in history.
Another benefit to studying Spanish language courses in Merida is that the Mexican school offers a unique way to learn more about the history of Mexico itself.
The final perk of learning Spanish in Merida is that you will almost always find yourself surrounded by other students who are there to learn, which can make for some great conversation opportunities, especially if you make an effort to explore the city with one of your classmates!
The following are some of the best institutes that you can join to study Spanish in Merida:
- LA CASITA SPANISH SCHOOL | MERIDA
- Hola Spanish School Mérida, México
- Ecora Language Institute: Spanish School
- LA CALLE – Spanish School Merida
- Spanish Institute of Merida
- Spanish with Julissa
The last city on our list is Cuernavaca, which is located in the state of Morelos.
Being located near Mexico City, this city has a lot going for it when it comes to language learning opportunities. There are also many activities to take part in outside of education including mountain climbing and even visiting the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary!
Of course, it’s also important to mention that Cuernavaca is a popular destination for students who are staying in Mexico for purposes of traveling through the country. Although this city might not be where you choose to learn Spanish exclusively, it can make an excellent place for continuing study after another location.
The following are Spanish learning institutes in Cuernavaca:
- ASLI-Spanish Language Institute
- Spanish School at International University UNINTER
- Institute of Languages and Culture Cuauhnáhuac
So you can choose to join any of the above-mentioned institutes to learn Spanish in any of the above-mentioned cities. But before, choosing any destination and Spanish school set some of the goals that you want to achieve by joining Spanish courses in these institutes. Do comprehensive research about the schools and Spanish courses they are offering. We have prepared a list of questions that you should ask yourself before taking any step. This list will help you a lot in making good decisions.
The questions you should ask yourself before choosing any language school in Mexico:
- What type of student is this school most appropriate for?
- What does tuition cost and what is included in that price?
- How many hours will I spend at this school per week?
- Who teaches my classes and do they speak my native language?
- Do they use English as well as Spanish during class time?
- Can I meet my teacher before signing up for classes?
- What are the school’s policies regarding canceling or withdrawing from classes?
- If I complete a course, can I continue at the same school to take more advanced courses?
Tips for traveling as a language learner to Mexico:
i) Take a “Yo Quiero” course!
If you are looking to take up some basic language skills for your upcoming trip, one of the best things you can do is enroll in a “Yo Quiero” course. The meaning behind this phrase is that you want something-in this case, more Spanish knowledge. It’s a great way to learn some basic phrases and the most common words in Mexico before you arrive.
ii) Always have your passport on hand!
Because Mexico requires visas for entry from just about every country, it’s important that you have your passport with you at all times. It’s also helpful to have two or three photocopies of this document as well, just in case you need to show it off at any time.
iii) It’s not necessary to learn the language before your trip
Although this is ideal, it isn’t always practical or even possible. If you are planning to take a trip to Mexico soon, don’t feel like you have to check off every task on your list before you go. You can still have a great vacation and experience the culture of Mexico, even if you don’t speak the language!
iv) Always ask for help
When in doubt about anything related to your trip to Mexico-from how much things cost to where you should stay-don’t be afraid to ask someone who lives there for help. It’s always better to ask and not need help than to need help and not ask for it!
Take away from this blog post:
It is important to choose the best school you can find in Mexico. I have given you guidelines that will guide you through your decision process. You should consider several schools before choosing any one place. Make sure that Spanish courses are taken by experienced teachers who can give you the best language learning experience. And remember that it is always best to be near a city where there is more than one language school running Spanish courses, in case you need help. Your trip to Mexico will be an unforgettable and enjoyable learning experience!